THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Frills

I think I'm in love with frills!

This is the yarn I bought yesterday. Moda Vera Frills.


Frill yarn is knitted in a different way to normal yarn. It's like a stretchy piece of mesh or gauze, and instead of wrapping the yarn around the needle to create stitches, you actually pierce the mesh.

This link explains it a lot better than I do!

I was so excited I started knitting some of it up pretty much as soon as I got home. It was a really alien feeling, almost like learning to knit again. At first, I thought, "how can anyone make projects out of this stuff?" However, once you get going, you start to get the hang of it. It's semi-fast, but still fiddly. I always feel like I need that extra pair of hands to pull the tape taught while I knit it.



I think the results are worth it though! This is just playing, and it may turn into a nice ruffled evening bag for me!

2 comments:

tifannyteh said...

hi, i've bought this moda vera frills from spotlight too and i picked the other color which is brownish but i cant find any pattern on any site using this frills yarn. do u have any idea where i can find any project using the frills?

PamelaA said...

It was $2/ball at Spotlight this week and I got a green one. Looks fab. I am just thinking of finding a hat pattern and putting a few rows of frill around the bottom. May also make great coat hanger covers to keep silky dresses on the hanger. I didn't realise I would need something it knit with and just put the frill on hence looking for how to use this yarn.
Thanks for writing about it